When reviewing health plans and assessing cost, keep in mind that health insurance was not designed to cover every penny related to medical care.
Everything under the sun on an open credit card is nice, but not when you are paying the bill. But you’re.
The purpose of the insurance is to cover very expensive sudden losses. It is about recovering and not having the financial responsibility of a ton of money to do so. Somehow, we all decided in the last 60 years that the traditional plan should pay for everything.
Health insurance is the only insurance product, for the most part, that pays first dollar coverage such as doctor visits and prescription drugs. The health system applied the system to the largest bank account that paid the bill, not the small one. Things have changed…
Employees are more responsible for their medical care by paying more for their premium check dollars and higher costs. Employers must involve their employees to be more proactive in their medical care. Here are some ideas:
- Don’t run to the emergency room or the doctor for every little thing. What happened to the home remedies or waiting to see the doctor instead of going to the emergency room? This will save you thousands in a year if you have children.
- Try to save money on medicines by looking for alternatives. Sometimes, skipping the medication may not have an impact on your health, but forces you to return to the doctor. The other thing you can do is shop around. The fact that they are convenient does not mean that it is the most profitable.
- The fact that your doctor recommends an exam does not mean you should do it and do it. The doctor went through many years of school, but they are also trying to perform tests to protect them and receive a payment. Ask more questions to see if you feel it is the right thing to do. Just as you would if your mechanic suggested items. Is your money.
- If you are programming a procedure, take a look. Many new facilities are emerging to help reduce the cost of outpatient tests to outpatient surgical facilities. The hospital is not the cheapest. Away from there. This ends up raising the price for you and the insurance company.
- You do not need to go to a cutting-edge teaching hospital, for most things. There is a time and place for advanced care that some of the predominant teaching hospitals bring to the table. However, for most things, people go through their excess and charge more.
In the end, it will end up costing you more money, either in out-of-pocket costs or in premiums. There is no free lunch.